Position title: Director of Migrant Services
DOWNLOAD FULL DESCRIPTION HERE
Regular Employee Full time with benefits
Workplace: KBI Nogales, SON
Reports to the Executive Director
The Kino Border Initiative is a bi-national, inclusive Catholic organization, inspired by the spirituality of the Jesuits and Missionaries of the Eucharist; locally rooted in Ambos Nogales on the Mexico – US border and with a regional approach throughout Central America and North America.
As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, our mission is to promote humane, just and workable migration through humanitarian assistance, education and policy advocacy.
The KBI is deeply rooted in values of faith and spirituality, equity and justice, holistic accompaniment, human dignity, hope and joy. The emotional and social wellness of our staff is an explicit priority.
Purpose of Position:
Strategically lead, plan and manage our humanitarian services and holistic accompaniment programs for migrants to ensure that they promote and defend human dignity, meet strategic objectives, and respond wisely to changing circumstances.
Strategic Management and Leadership (50%)
- Manage, implement, and evaluate the strategic priorities for the Migrant Services Department.
- Lead, organize and supervise the migrant services staff to ensure their professional development and active engagement in creatively and faithfully advancing KBI’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Encourage and maintain a supportive and successful collaboration between Service staff, other departments in the organization and external collaborators.
- Implement self and community care strategies that prevent and respond to situations of stress and burnout (in coordination with the KBI chaplain, administration and leadership team).
- Work closely with the KBI Leadership Team to decide on tactics or approaches for the organization to best respond to changing circumstances and emerging challenges.
- Learn and implement best practices from other organizations engaged in similar work, including through visits to migrant shelters throughout Mexico.
Operations Management and Migrant Accompaniment (30%)
- Provide leadership, direction and collaborative support to the managers of different teams within Migrant Services to ensure quality and effective administration of migrant accompaniment programs and humanitarian aid operations in a holistic way.
- Support the execution of Migrant Services work, logistics and processes in critical moments by carrying out operational tasks, especially in cases of staff absences or turnover.
- Evaluate and oversee progress in humanitarian services and holistic accompaniment through quantitative and qualitative data, including through listening carefully to migrants’ experiences at KBI and incorporating their suggestions for changes in Migrant Services.
- Report out the findings and testimonies of impact to support with fundraising efforts.
- Be present to migrants by listening attentively to their experiences and situations and allowing that listening to influence Migrant Services approaches, evaluations and best practices.
- Coordinate and plan with the Executive Director and administration team to ensure that Migrant Services has adequate and qualified staff and volunteer resources.
- Contribute to organization-wide administrative initiatives, including budgeting process.
- Stay up to date on emails, data collection, meetings and reports.
Knowledge, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Deep personal commitment to advancing Migration with Dignity
- Ability to relate effectively and have excellent interpersonal communication with individuals from a wide range of nationalities, races, life experiences, and class backgrounds, especially in a way that promotes justice, equity, and a sense of community
- Energized by a quickly changing on the ground reality
- Flexible and able to respond to the challenge of the moment.
- Amidst that reactivity able to maintain a proactive, strategic vision to advance organizational growth
- Appreciation of KBI’s Catholic identity
- Experience working with vulnerable populations, including an understanding of trauma- informed care and secondary trauma preferred.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- Must have at least 3 years of experience of migrant accompaniment
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience, preferably 5 years
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish and have advanced communication skills in spoken and written English
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to
Jorge Torres – firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of January 10, 2023
KBI values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture — All individuals can apply for this position. People of color, women, individuals with disabilities, immigrants, and people from other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.