By: Roxane Ramos
Even while we focus on the worldwide immigration crisis, the news from the U.S.–Mexico border and other links still seize our attention. Here are some of the headlines and highlights about the current immigration situation in the U.S. and beyond.
- From The Washington Post, the latest on the status of President Obama’s executive order on immigration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/appeals-court-rules-against-obamas-immigration-plan/2015/11/09/c73f38b0-874c-11e5-be39-0034bb576eee_story.html.
- From the Tucson Sentinel, an update about Rosa Robles Loreto who spent 461 days protected by sanctuary in Tucson’s Southside Presbyterian Church: www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/111015_rosa_leaves_southside/rosa-robles-loreto-leaves-sanctuary-tucson-church-after-461-days/.
- From Remezcla, a video of Mexican director Alejandro Gonzáles Iñárritu’s acceptance speech for an award from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in which he references immigration and undocumented Dreamers in the U.S.: http://remezcla.com/culture/alejandro-inarritu-lacma-undocumented-dreamers-immigration-speech/.
- From the New York Times, a report outlining the results of a recent PEW Research Center study about Mexican immigration numbers: www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/us/more-mexican-immigrants-leaving-us-than-entering-report-finds.html?_r=0.
- From Getty Images, a moving photo of a cemetery in Lesbos making space between headstones for migrants who have died on the journey (place the cursor over the photo for a description): www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/the-grave-of-a-migrant-child-is-placed-between-local-graves-news-photo/496673978.
- From The Guardian, recent statistics on the rise of detentions in the U.S.: www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/mexico-detentions-migrants-up-crackdown-southern-border#_=_.
- From the Texas Standard radio broadcast, a report on the things left behind by migrants crossing the desert: www.texasstandard.org/stories/this-texas-lab-photographs-what-people-crossing-the-border-left-behind/.
- From the New Yorker, the first of three articles about border agents and their relationship to those who are crossing: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/faces-from-the-border-we-could-be-them.
- From The Atlantic, a feature about the unprecedented number of refugees worldwide: www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/06/refugees-global-peace-index/396122/.
- From McClatchy DC, the story of an Iraqi immigrant and his life in Boise, Idaho: www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/economy/article46246820.html.
- From the Los Angeles Times, an article and video that capture the power of bedtime stories to comfort children of deported parents: http://www.latimes.com/local/great-reads/la-me-c1-deportation-bedtime-stories-20151114-story.html.
- From Politico, an article about a renewed effort for immigration reform, backed by Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-immigration-donald-trump-2016-election-216327#ixzz3tO4IREbZ.