Immigration in the News
As we move into the new year, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced plans to deport thousands of Central American families who were not granted asylum, back to the violence from which they fled. That story and other immigration news are listed here.
- From Arizona Public Media (12/29/15), more information about the deportation of Central American families, which began this month, with comments from KBI director of education and advocacy Joanna Williams: https://www.azpm.org/p/crawler-stories/2015/12/29/79094-central-american-immigrant-deportations-planned/.
- From The New York Times (1/4/16), the latest news about the immigration crackdown: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/us/arrests-begin-for-migrants-who-lost-asylum-cases.html?emc=edit_th_20160105&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=68564230.
- From The Washington Post, two articles: (1) about sanctuary offered by religious groups to the immigrants affected by the recently announced raids, (1/6/16), https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/religious-groups-offer-sanctuary-to-immigrants-targeted-in-ice-raids/2016/01/06/183e5dd6-b416-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html; and (2) about the impact of the raids on immigrant families and communities, (1/8/16), https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/pre-dawn-raids-leave-us-immigrant-communities-paralyzed-with-fear/2016/01/08/5bdf664c-b412-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html.
- From Mother Jones (12/17/15), important facts about Central American children at the border and their implications: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/new-central-american-kids-families-migrant-surge.
- From the American Immigration Council’s Immigration Impact, a summary of the inhumane and ineffective outcomes of Operation Streamline on the occasion of its 10th anniversary: http://immigrationimpact.com/2015/12/15/operation-streamline-immigration/.
- From the Tucson Weekly (12/14/15), a story about protests of Operation Streamline conducted by Tucson clergy: www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2015/12/14/tucson-clergy-interrupting-controversial-immigration-enforcement-proceedingoperation-streamlineas-we-speak.
- From The New York Times Magazine (12/9/15), the detailed account of a Honduran deportee’s experience returning to his country of origin: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/magazine/the-deported.html?emc=edit_th_20151213&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=68564230.
- From The New York Times (12/14/15), an article about boosting immigrant support services in New York: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/nyregion/new-york-city-to-aid-immigrants-amid-stalled-national-reforms.html?_r=0.
- From the New Yorker, the second and third of a triptych about the relationship between border agents and border crossers: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/faces-from-the-border-the-devil-is-on-the-loose and http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/faces-from-the-border-choosing-friends.
- From the Ethical Journalism Network, a recently published comprehensive review of how the media has reported on migration issues during a year of unprecedented humanitarian crisis; here is the chapter about the U.S.: http://ethicaljournalismnetwork.org/en/contents/united-states-the-trump-card-how-us-news-media-dealt-with-a-migrant-hate-manifesto.