In December, the KBI joined other agencies to sign a letter advocating for migrant and refugee rights at the border. This month, the Catholic Church observes National Migration Week, and KBI board members gather for their first meeting of the year. Also, planning is underway for the annual Phoenix fundraising dinner in March—mark your calendars! Finally, we bring wonderful news about the KBI’s latest fundraising numbers.
- Joint Statement on Access to Asylum at the Border: The KBI joined over 20 other advocacy and human rights organizations in signing a letter to Mexican authorities in defense of rights of migrants and refugees to seek asylum. Many are being turned away at the border, and unlawfully prevented from presenting themselves as asylum seekers. The letter denounces these practices and urges protection of migrant and refugee rights. Read the letter here: https://www.kinoborderinitiative.org/joint-statement-mexican-authorities-access-asylum-border/.
- National Migration Week: The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) observes National Migration Week, January 8–14, an occasion to be mindful and active in welcoming those who are displaced and newly arrived, and set the tone for the year ahead. This year’s theme is “Creating a Culture of Encounter,” and more information about activities and resources for getting involved in your community are available at: http://www.usccb.org/about/migration-and-refugee-services/national-migration-week/index.cfm.
- January Board Meeting: KBI board members will have their first meeting of 2017 on January 19 in Nogales, Sonora. Look for an update from their discussions and planning in an upcoming newsletter.
- Phoenix Dinner: Don’t miss the Seventh Annual Kino Border Initiative Dinner in Phoenix on Saturday, March 25, 2017. Look for more information about the event and purchasing tickets, please call Darci Haydukovich at 602-467-8825 or look for updates at: https://www.kinoborderinitiative.org.
- 2016 Fundraising News: The KBI is pleased to announce that the preliminary fundraising total for 2016 is close to $1,000,000! We also had over 400 new donors this past year. Many thanks to our dedicated donors and supporters! We could not do this important work with you!