Learn more about upcoming fundraisers for the KBI in Tucson, AZ and Hermosillo, Sonora; speaking engagements for KBI staff and presentations at the annual Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice; our legal fellow job posting; and recent immersion experiences.
- Tucson Fundraiser: It’s almost time for the Tucson Fiesta! This annual KBI fundraiser is scheduled for Sunday, October 21, 2018 at the home of KBI board vice-chair Luis Dabdoub and his wife Susana Dabdoub. Executive Director Father Sean Carroll, S.J. will offer remarks about the KBI’s ongoing work, and Salpointe Kino Teens will be on hand to share their stories of volunteering with the KBI at the border. To make your reservation, go to: https://www.kinoborderinitiative.org/2018-tucson-fiesta/. Hope to see you there!
- Hermosillo Fundraiser: An art auction benefitting the KBI and another organization will be held in Hermosillo, Sonora on Thursday, November 8, 2018. Coordinated by gallery owner Lucita Aguilera and others, the event will be attended by KBI staff Father Sean Carroll, S.J. and Father Samuel Lozano de los Santos, S.J. For more information about this fundraiser, please contact Ivette Fuentes at the KBI: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The KBI on the Road: KBI Executive Director Father Sean Carroll, S.J. will be speaking at Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. on November 15, 2018. On November 16–17, 2018, Joanna Williams, KBI Director of Education and Advocacy, will present at Creighton University in Omaha, NE.
- Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice: At the annual Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice—November 3–5, 2018 in Washington, D.C.—Father Pete Neeley, S.J., KBI Associate Director of Education, will offer a breakout session with Kino Teens from Lourdes Catholic School— KBI Director of Education and Advocacy Joanna Williams will present two breakout sessions—one with the Jesuit Portland Border Solidarity Club, and one with an asylum seeker who was accompanied by the KBI and won his case.
- KBI/Florence Project Legal Fellow: The KBI is seeking a new legal fellow to work with asylum seekers received at the comedor and shelter. Started last year, this program was conceived with the goal of formulating comprehensive and strategically strong asylum cases and, in so doing, helped advance immigration law. For details about applying for the legal fellow position, please see—and share—the new job listing at: https://firrp-hfvr7nehlhvix.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/KBI-Legal-Fellow_Job-Posting_8-01-18.pdf.
- Immersion Experiences: In September, the KBI hosted faculty from two universities and a group of high school students for immersions.
|· Immersion Group||# of participants||# of days at the KBI|
|Santa Clara University
Santa Clara, CA
|10 participants||3 days|
|Xavier University and Bellarmine Chapel
|8 participants||4 days|
|10 participants||4 days|