This month’s news includes updates on how life at KBI has changed in response to the coronavirus, including a regular educational presence on Facebook Live. Additionally, we are hiring for a Director of Communications, include updates on the annual Arizona Gives Day, and welcomed two university groups in early March.
1) KBI Hiring: We are hiring for a Director of Communications! This position is responsible for humanizing the realities of migration and encouraging engagement from individuals and communities through various communication tools, including a bilingual, content-rich and interactive social media presence, a monthly newsletter, connections with traditional media, and the KBI annual report. For more information and to apply, see our employment page.
2) Coronavirus impacts life at KBI: Like everyone, we have been impacted by the threat of coronavirus. We hold in prayers those who are struggling with the physical, financial, emotional, and spiritual implications of this challenging time. The annual Phoenix dinner was cancelled on March 14th, and the following week, we made significant adaptations to our work and services, including moving to take-out meals, observing strict social distancing guidelines, and mandating the use of masks and gloves among staff. Some aspects of our work, such as hosting immersion groups and visits, welcoming volunteers, and a number of migrant services have been put on hold as long as our medical, governmental, and scientific experts deem measures of social distancing necessary to mitigate the spread of the virus. See more information here.
3) Facebook Live events: Because of the pandemic, we have attempted to share some educational resources with KBI supporters via Facebook Live. In partnership with Ignatian Solidarity Network, two different educational and advocacy events were held. The first was on March 20th with Education and Advocacy Director Joanna Williams and Education Coordinator Sr. Tracey Horan. The second live event was on Thursday, April 2nd, and featured updates from Fr. Sean Carroll, Joanna Williams, and former immersion participant Vince Herberholdt. On March 26th, KBI streamed a live prayer and reflection with Fr. Sean Carroll, with Sr. Pina Bejarano and Sr. Tracey Horan providing music. And on Good Friday, April 10th, Fr. Sean Carroll shared a reflection about the spirituality of the Triduum as it relates to people in migration and the border.
4) Arizona Gives Day 2020: The annual Arizona Gives Day online fundraising event, which encourages donors throughout Arizona to support causes of their choice, occurred on April 7. Over$1,900 was raised by 25 donors on one day alone. We are grateful for your support this day—and all the days and in the diversity of ways your support enriches us and makes our work possible.
5) Immersion groups: March is typically a busy season for immersion groups at KBI, but due to the virus, groups after the middle of March were cancelled. We hosted two universities from the Midwest at the beginning of the month.
|Immersion Group||# of participants||# of days at the KBI|
|John Carroll University
|10 participants||4 days|
|St. Louis University
St. Louis, MO
|10 participants||3 days|