- Catholics sisters make Advent plea to Biden: End ‘immoral’ immigration rule “Members of 24 congregations of women religious from around the country gather outside the White House Dec. 3, 2021, to demonstrate against President Joe Biden’s continuation of Title 42 expulsions. Title 42 is a provision of the U.S. public health law that Trump administration officials implemented to keep migrants out as COVID-19 infections began rising in the U.S. in 2020, and it has remained in place during the Biden administration.” One migrant woman at Kino Border Initiative Migrant Outreach Center told Joanna William’s how inspired she was watching the livestream of this event, even though she didn’t understand English. She felt supported by the Catholic community and Kino’s advocacy efforts on behalf of all asylum seekers waiting along the border.
- 80+Catholic Sisters and Activists Hold Prayer Vigil outside White House calling on President Biden to Rescind Title 42 and End MPP : “As long as the Biden Administration maintains Title 42, they are emboldening organized crime and are directly responsible to deaths of men, women, and children seeking protection at the Southern Border.” said, Sister Tracey Horan, SP, Associate Director of Education and Advocacy. Read more about the vigil.
- U.S. Bishops reiterate call for ending Migrant Protection Protocols: “The lead bishop on Migration of the US Bishops’ Conference (USCCB) expresses concern over the reimplementation of “the Remain in Mexico” policy, the border processing programme introduced by the Trump Administration to deter migrants from reaching the U.S. southern border. On December 2, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) would restart on December 6 following a new agreement with Mexico.”
- ‘Remain in Mexico’ program restarts, fueling frustration among immigration advocates: “The Biden administration relaunched the Trump-era border policy known as “Remain in Mexico” on Monday, kicking back into gear the program allowing officials to send non-Mexican migrants to Mexico to await their US immigration court hearings.”
- Pope Francis on Lesbos: Stop this shipwreck of civilization: “The Pope on Sunday visited the Reception and Identification Centre of Mytilene on the island of Lesbos. While there, he heard the testimonies of migrants, and told those present migration is a humanitarian crisis that concerns everyone.”
- Kino in the news (Spanish): Albergues del norte del país piden al gobierno proteger a migrantes“Representantes de por lo menos 30 albergues del norte del país denunciaron que el fenómeno social de la migración forzada está marcada por causas relacionadas con la violencia, desigualdades económicas, pobreza extrema, devastación ambiental y la imposibilidad de la reunificación familiar.”
Leave a Reply