The KBI welcomes our new Casa Nazareth coordinator to the staff, and celebrates the collaboration of the Sonoran grocery store chain Super del Norte for their donation to KBI through their “round-up at the register” campaign. We also share details about the Kino Teens retreat in St. David, Arizona; the upcoming World Day of Migrants and Refugees; and recent immersion experiences.
- Súper del Norte collaboration: The Sonoran grocery store chain “Súper del Norte” presented a check to KBI on September 4 that was collected from their “Round Up at the Register” campaign. The campaign began two months earlier, and a check for over $611,000 Mexican pesos (approximately $34,000 USD) was presented by the store’s general manager to Fr. Samuel Lozano and Sr. Engracia Robles. We are grateful for the support of Súper del Norte and their customers who donated to our work!
- New Casa Nazareth Coordinator: KBI is happy to welcome Josefina “Pina” Bejarano Padilla, M.E., as the Coordinator of Casa Nazareth. Pina recently took vows as a Missionary Sister of the Eucharist. She is originally from Michoacán, where she studied industrial engineering. She worked in the engineering field for several years prior to considering work as a sister, and came to Nogales and lived with the KBI sisters for six months while she discerned her call to a religious order. In her years of formation, Pina worked in Guadalajara and Oaxaca accompanying migrant and indigenous communities. ¡Bienvenida, Pina!
- Kino Teens Retreat: On August 23 and 24, KBI hosted a two-day retreat for Kino Teens from three southern Arizona high schools. Over 30 students from Lourdes High School (Nogales, AZ), St. Augustine High School (Tucson), and San Miguel High School (Tucson) gathered at St. David Monastery to learn about current realities on the border, strengthen relationships among students committed to immigrant justice, and strategize action steps. KBI staff members Sister Tracey Horan, S.P. and Fr. Pete Neeley, SJ accompanied the students on the retreat.
- World Day of Migrants and Refugees: The Catholic Church has been celebrating “World Day of Migrants and Refugees” since 1914. This year, it will be celebrated on Sunday, September 29. For this day, Pope Francis has selected the theme “It is not just about migrants” to ensure that all are included in society. For more information on this day and to see resources about how to honor it in your community, visit: https://migrants-refugees.va/resource-center/world-day-of-migrants-refugees-2019/
- Immersion Experiences: Two groups of high school students and two groups of university professors from across the U.S. traveled to the KBI for immersions during the month of August:
|Immersion Group||# of participants||# of days at the KBI|
|St. Ignatius High School
|11 participants||6 days|
|10 participants||6 days|
|University of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
|10 participants||3 days|